Monday, May 7, 2012

Planting Season

Abram and I weeded the garden this week in preparation to plant this weekend. Well, technically I weeded while Abram played in the dirt. Curtis tilled (by shovel and rake) the garden and went and bought the plants while Abram napped and I pruned trees. When Abram woke up we all went out to plant the garden.

 Abram helped dig...and fell in a hole a time or two. Curtis did the serious digging while I monitored Abram's use of the trowel. *note to self: look for PLASTIC gardening tools.

Abram did pretty well digging but attacked the plants a few times and got increasingly frustrated as his digging space was decreased with each planted row.

Then it came time to water the seeds and baby plants and happiness returned to the garden...

and MUD was discovered!

 
Along with my gladiolus that are coming up nicely this year again, we have planted tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, green beans and onions. We have two strawberry plants that popped up and surprised us from last years planting and we still plan to put in some sweet potatoes (they did so well last year) and peas (which I've begun to eat after 30 years of avoiding). We're going to train those to climb so they won't take up as much square footage. Curtis is also trying a potato bucket on the porch. Hopefully we'll have a great harvest and have lots of canned goods for the winter!

1 comment:

Grandma H said...

Looks so much like Rachel did at that age!!