Monday, May 7, 2012

Flowers and Birds...free happiness:)

As many of you know, I love flowers. I really love free flowers. Not all of my flowers were free, but each year they come back blooming beautifully, the better the investment!

 When I came back from visiting my sister, my Knockout Rose bush had exploded! This flower was not free, but so hardy and such a long bloom season that I'll be sure to buy more eventually.
My irises were free and they only become more plentiful They are as beautiful and fragrant as ever this year. My lilly of the valley also came back bigger and better...also free.
 I need to thin them out this fall and mix up some of the varieties so that I don't have clumps of one shade of purple that blooms and dies before another shade blooms. A daunting task, but one I've put off long enough!

 I tried to dig up a few that were "off" colors, mainly yellows, but I left any that had any purple, like these lovelies. I waited too long to do this, so I'm sure I missed a few yellows...I'll get them next year!

 I snapped this shot of my azaleas before I left...they bloomed a LOT more abundantly after I took this picture, but it was the only one I got. Once I got back, the blooms were dying off. I hope I can keep these alive this time! Oh, and my hydrangea has plenty of buds starting despite being frostbit...can't wait to see how it will look! Neither were free, and not nearly as hardy, but beautiful and on sale!

This was my mystery bird. I had never seen one like this before. I guessed that it was a female because of the "drab" color and she thought she looked like a huge sparrow.  I also noticed that her beak was larger too...more like a cardinal than a sparrow.  She was not timid and I could approach pretty close and then zoom to take a really good picture of her. After pouring over several bird books I decided she was a female rose breasted grosbeak.  I asked my dad and he confirmed that he'd seen that type of  bird and had the same result.  Here's a professional photo of the same species....I'm hoping to see a male at some point too! So pretty!

No comments: