Sunday, January 18, 2009

Foster Update

Of our most recent foster cats, Darla, Dulce, Duff, Biscuit and Mysteria have all been adopted. Dugan and Demi are still in their condo at Feeder's Supply, a local pet store chain here in Kentuckiana.
Moses (green collar) and Noah(blue collar), our two labs that we rescued (see previous post, Anybody Want A Black Lab?), were accepted by an amazing rescue group in Muncie, IN called Adopt-A-Lab. We were very excited because they have a very successful program placing unwanted labs from our region in homes up in New England. So far they have not been adopted yet, but we watch the site regularly for updates on their status. These pictures were taken by the rescue the day we took them and if you look at their "before" pictures, it is amazing to see how they transformed in the month that we cared for them. They are absolutely gorgeous!
Speaking of "absolutely gorgeous", this is Neela, our newest foster. We named her Neela because it means "blue" in Sanskrit and she has the most beautiful blue eyes! Also, Neela Rasgotra is a character on ER, one of our favorite TV shows. Neela was a feral kitten trapped by a fellow Shamrock foster but she is not your typical wild barn kitten. Although she is a bit skittish and might hiss if startled, she is very quickly warming up to us and loves to play and be petted. We're going to give her another week to continue coming out of her shell and then we'll post her on the website/Petfinder to be adopted. She's such a pretty thing I'm sure we'll have lots of applications.
We still have our foster cat, Sensei (aka, Stilts), who I will have a hard time parting with. He sleeps with us under the covers at night and is almost ALWAYS in my lap when I'm eating or watching TV. Here is a cute video of Sensei and Gypsy demonstrating the vocalization of the Siamese/Balinese cat. I did get a hit on Petfinder today that sounds like it might be a good one. Hopefully they'll send an application and we can get him into his forever home. He has only strengthened my resolve of someday adopting a retired show Siamese from a RESPONSIBLE breeder. I cannot speak out enough about "backyard breeders" and the like that bring more cats into the world than they can care for, just trying to make some money, and do not take responsibility for them when their owners can no longer keep them!

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Beautiful dogs, and such a cute kitty! I think the picture of Noah could be published on a greeting card or picture or something, he's beautiful.
Thanks for the info about Adopt A Lab... we were the proud (and lucky) owners of a lab for 12 years. She died two years ago, but we still miss her.
~Michelle
http://givingtree2009.blogspot.com/

Michelle said...

I'm sure you know by now, but I just got an email response from Adopt A Lab, Noah & Moses have been adopted - TOGETHER! Yay!

~Michelle

Michelle said...

Ok - last comment, I promise! Just wanted you to know that I wrote about your blog and what you do to help foster animals! I think it's great!

http://givingtree2009.blogspot.com/2009/01/day-18-adopt-lab.html