Sunday, January 26, 2014

My Baby is 3

Watch out world, Abram is 3! We celebrated his birthday with a family party at our house. It was crowded, as I knew it would be, but very nice. We had tacos, opened presents and then had cake and ice cream. I made him a "candy cake" this year, rather than a themed cake. It was a yellow round cake with chocolate frosting, surrounded by Kitkats and topped with M&M's. In other words, amazing!

 Probably my favorite cake...because it was relatively quick and easy compared to other cakes I've created! I did have some complaints about it being TOO rich:) I thought it was perfect.

Abram was soo excited!

He received many nice presents, including books and clothes and games. We gave him a Mickey Mouse hooded towel and "Bumblebee Boy" Car Poncho that I had made for him. On his actual birthday we did "Tour of Farmland" which included pizza at Pizza King and ice cream at The Chocolate Moose. Then we gave him his last birthday present.  His very own REAL fishing pole. He's been practicing his cast....which isn't so great yet, but improving...down the hallway while his sister naps!

I look back at pictures from this past year and can't believe how much he's grown and changed. He looks less and less like a baby and more and more like a big boy! He's so tall, wears 3T pants and shirts, sometimes 4T pants if the waist is small enough. He can take off and put on his own underwear and pants but still needs help with his shirt and coat. He CAN put on his shoes, but prefers his boots where he can just shove them on and not fasten anything.

He is potty-trained....completely. Even at night he's been sleeping in his underwear. We started letting him do this right at the beginning of the year because Mom bought us a vinyl mattress cover. He always had dry pull-ups, so we made the switch. It's glorious...not to mention less expensive!

He eats like a toddler. A pig one second, a bird the next. One day something is his favorite and then he leaves it on his plate for two weeks. I've heard this is typical. Doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Conversations are quite fluent now. Occasionally he will lapse into gobbledygook or get "lazy" with his sounds (Ames, watch a woo-wee?), but most of the time he makes sense. He talks with Lydia and encourages her to "sign" to us and then tells her "good job!' when she does. He gets annoyed at her when she yells or makes growl-y noises. He loves to follow her around saying "gonna get you, gonna get you", which makes her squeal and walk really fast...and then cry when he finally does get her by tackling her to the ground. I've observed him playing with other children and I'm usually impressed with his social skills. He'll ask them their name and/or tell them his. Its cute to hear him converse:)

Grandpa Hardacre is his bestest buddy. He can do no wrong and we see him almost every day. Abram also loves going to both Grandma's houses. Loves Chip. Loves Reece and Blake. He loves trains, dinosaurs, fishing and animals.  He can't sit still to color or paint for more than 5 minutes and just shreds through play doh. He got a Leap Pad for Christmas and loves play games and watch videos on it for LONG periods of time. Almost every day begins with "I watch a movie?" He's obsessed with "Dragon" movie, which is a Christmas special of "How to Train Your Dragon" and also loves Veggietales, Land Before Time, Fievel,, Ice Age, etc. His favorite movie selection expands daily.

Abram is a very sweet boy and can be shy and sensitive in new situations. He still takes time to warm up socially and he's reluctant to try new activities, foods, etc. He's also stubborn and will push his limits with his mommy and his mommy to HER limits! He can be very obedient one moment and then fussy and obstinate the next. I stay as consistent as possible because I know this is the only thing that can turn a rowdy, self-indulgent toddler into pleasant, kind little boy. I know some people think 3 is worse than, but I believe this year will be better.

No comments: