Thursday, August 26, 2010

2010 Camps

Despite the fact that I was going through the nausea of my first trimester AND had a broken foot, this summer's camps were the smoothest, least stressful that I've directed. The broken foot actually became a mixed blessing because it forced me to slow down and take it easy. It also became my go-to reason for why I couldn't participate in certain activities, without revealing my pregnancy too early to too many people! The only major change in my camp schedule was the cancellation of our Canoe Travel Camp. I had wanted to go, but there were obvious worries about how strenuous it would be. There were budget concerns about the trip and then I broke my foot, so that finalized the cancellation. My other camps, Music Camp, Art Camp, Safari Camp, Wilderness Women, Sugar and Spice and Horse Camp, were great and I had minimal frustration with wearing the huge equalizer boot! Here are some pictures from a few of my camps.

This year, one of our big projects was Printmaking. The kids carved their favorite fruit into a linoleum block and then they did 3 prints in 4 different colors. It was challenging for some...err, most of them, but I thought they turned out beautiful.

On the last day of camp, I had the campers do a piece a la Jackson Pollack. They really loved splattering all that paint on the canvas drop cloths. I don't know if their parents loved how much paint they got on themselves, despite our smock efforts!

Kate and I were really happy with how the mosaic "Starry Night" turned out this year. The kids worked really hard and I think the result was beautiful. Much thanks to Kate for helping again this year...she was always willing to pick up extra tiles for us and do the final grout work as well!

Daddy volunteered during the second full week of Art Camp, so he and Mom were able to come to the final art show. Mom helped us that day with getting all the refreshments ready.

During "Safari Camp" we visited Kentucky Down Under. I had never been there before and although it's small, it's a very fun place to go! This was the wool shed, where they talk about the domestic animals in Australia. I got to try milking a cow! Very cool!

They're walk-a-bout was very nice and we saw emu, red Kangaroo, grey Kangaroo and wallabies. The kids got to pet a red Kangaroo that was lounging under a tree.

We could feed the lorikeets for free (you can pay for a second cup)! I love feeding these little birds!

We also went to Cincinnati...in the rain. It was pouring when we first got there but we poncho'd and umbrella'd up and faced the day. The elephants enjoyed the downpour! Thankfully, it cleared up gradually throughout the day and we had a great time!

During Sugar and Spice Camp we went once again to 610 Magnolia for lunch and discussion on etiquette. The food was absolutely delicious! This was our first course: tomato soup.

Main Course: Chicken with Mustard Sauce (amazing!), Mashed Potatoes (amazing!) and Cheesy Vegetables (but I couldn't really find the cheese).

Dessert: Ice cream with fruit.

We had a pajama party for Sugar and Spice and Lisa came and put a yogurt/oatmeal mask on us and talked about skin care/health.

Ok, this picture is kind of random, but ALL the pictures from this camp had kids faces in them! Wilderness Women came close to being my favorite camp this year. I only had one freak out moment, when I couldn't go canoeing with them because of "the boot" and they took FOREVER to get to the take out point. This picture was taken during our rainy morning when we had to cancel horseback riding. I had them make bird nests with clothespins and this was the "hummingbird nest" that me and Miss Kim made. The cicada shell offers some size perspective:) We did canoeing, caving, creek walking, archery and camping that week...so much fun!

Horse Camp was the last week of camp and it will always be my favorite. I was really good and didn't ride all week...until we got to Shamrock Farms.
Here the kids got to see several different breeds and some tiny babies! They got to ride alongside in a cart pulled by a road pony and...
...and they got to experience riding bareback! I couldn't pass up this opportunity! This is Dunbrody, a Gypsy Vanner Cob stallion (apparently owned by a famous actress.) This horse was amazing, looked like a unicorn (sans horn), and when he's all unbraided his mane and tail drag the ground!

Last day at camp was spent once again at the Kentucky Horse Park. They're gearing up for the 2010 World Equestrian Games which begin here in a month. They had finished up their new Arabian exhibit, which was phenomenal. We had beautiful weather that day (still 90's but lower humidity) and it was a perfect ending to an eventful summer!

No comments: