Sunday, May 2, 2010

Garden Fever

Curtis caught garden fever and immediately set to work on ours. Now the problem is that we live on a hill. Our yard is a slope and our dirt consists of clay, rock, shale, grubs and more clay. I'm continually amazed that my flowers do so well! Vegetables are a different story. Two summers ago, I planted two rows of green beans by the garage and they did well for one or two pickings, but then the rest of the beans that developed were hollow from lack of nutrients. So, we knew that to do a garden right we'd need to build a raised bed on the far side of our garage (where it's flattest) and filled it with better top soil. This was quite a process, so here it is in pictures.
We had 8 yards of top soil delivered. We thought we needed 6, but we used closer to 7! It was hard work moving all that!We planted green beans, carrots, a sweet pepper, a zucchini, 4 tomatoes and I'm making a supported bed for my gladiolas at the far end.And then it started raining...and raining...and raining! The dirt has settled at least 4 inches and there's the strong possibility we'll have to replant the bean and carrot seeds. I didn't think about how much the dirt would settle and was just so impatient to get planting! haha oh well! We'll give it a few days to dry out and then we'll add more dirt...we still have plenty!

1 comment:

kristen t. said...

Wow! I'm so impressed! It looks great!