Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My First Rehab

I put my finch feeder out a couple of weeks ago, on a Sunday afternoon, and less than an hour later Curtis and I heard a "thunk" on the back door. Curtis went out to look and I heard him say "Oh, it's not dead yet...". I went to investigate and saw the little goldfinch flopping around on the back deck. I went out and checked him over, decided his "injuries" didn't look fatal so I put him in a crate and called a local rehabber. Since I'd volunteered for a rehab facility in the past, she had me keep him inside in the crate with some seed and a little water for a few days to see if a little quiet rest would do him some good. She said that if he got better, it would be good for him to be released in the same location. If he didn't improve, she'd take him to a vet to get him checked out. Here's a picture of him in his crate: And here's a video of him on Wednesday morning when we released him! What fun!!


2 comments:

The Athearns said...

I love your shirt, Rachel!! It's still a favorite of mine, too. :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! Fly away, little birdie!