Question: How do you eat an elephant?
Answer: One bite at a time!
Another multi-delay, over-budget project has been finished (at least, as soon as the grass starts growing).
From the day we moved in we knew we wanted a fence, check, and then a more functional back deck. It was a great size but basically served as a walkway from the garage to the back door. We couldn’t fit any patio furniture, as we would have to squeeze by it every time we came to/from the garage. The steps were also deteriorating and come to find out, not built correctly at all.
So as with most Cunningham projects we went from a simple “lets move the steps to the other side” to “might as well put in a walkway, retaining wall and stone steps to the side yard.” And since we live on a ever-sloping piece of land, all of that seemed to be twice the work.
Also in line with Cunningham projects, this was drawn out over eleven months as I had the end of a baseball season, an early freeze, a baby arrive and a new ball season begin.
So onto the pictures!
The pile - thanks Dean for helping move this pile into the hole! I was also lucky enough to be able to borrow multiple tools from work, including a plate compactor, which saved me a ton on tool rental fees. Thanks Tom and the Bats! You can also see my dad's truck that I stole for a couple months - thanks dad!
April 2011 - steps and caps are finished. Will pay someone else to do something like this next time - I am no good at angles, rise, run, etc.May 2011 - end day 1. It would take another two days to get all the cut pieces in.
July 2011 - most recent picture. The grass is starting to grow back where I had to "re-slope" the yard and put in drainage tile. The first big rain we had after putting in the joint compound sand (and compacting again) deposited mud over a good portion of the walkway. The walkway was sloped correctly, but the yard wasn't.
Rachel writes:
...until we have enough money saved up to start on the front of the house! It's already been sketched!
2 comments:
Looks amazing! Now JR's in for some backyard project...... I'm sure he'll thank Curtis for that! Ha
I think you lost a year in there somewhere. But the walkway and steps look great!
Post a Comment