Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Summer is coming to an end...

My summer has flown by...I can't believe how many camps we did this summer! I made it through Computer Camp and it really wasn't as bad as I'd decided it was going to be. Pretty basic and we had good field trips, thanks to my friend Sarah and her crew, and our IT specialist at work, Tim.

My last several camps went really well. My friend Kristen and I had the Eastern Kentucky State Parks Girls Travel Camp that was really fun even though we only had 6 girls. I think if we'd had more girls than that, we wouldn't have been able to stand all the whining! They all survived the trip despite the fact that we did try to kill them with campfire cooking, large insects and hiking adventures.

My last camp of the summer was Horse Camp...the one I'd waited all summer for:) It went splendidly. Kristen was with me again and my parents both came along to volunteer. We rode at a facility near my house called Lonestar Ranch and they were really wonderful with the kids, teaching them some horsemanship and basic riding skills prior to our trail ride. We also went to Churchill Downs, a Quarter horse show at the fairgrounds, and the Kentucky Horse Park, where we did another trail ride (not recommended). The kids had a great time and I think they really learned a lot about horses! We'll definately repeat this one next year!
In front of the Man O' War statue where he is buried along with his son and grandson.
One of the competitors at the Summer Hunter/Jumper event that week.

One of my favorite breeds, the Friesian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Friesian looks like one huge monster of a horse!