Thursday, July 10, 2008

Greta, Grace and Ophelia

Before I left for the bike trip, we took in three more foster kittens. Two sisters, named Greta and Grace and another female of about the same age, named Ophelia (she was rescued from someone who tried to drown her). While I was gone, the two sisters struggled with coccidia and despite Curtis' efforts to keep them medicated and hydrated, Grace died on the Saturday night that I returned. Greta was doing alright until Monday night when she wouldn't eat, so we took her to the vet the next morning. They gave her subcutaneous fluid and changed her meds but she didn't regain her appetite and started vomiting later than evening. She didn't make it through the night and we buried her next to her sister. It was so sad and frustrating because they went downhill so fast and we felt so helpless.

Fortunately, Ophelia seems very healthy and will soon be able to be spayed and put up for adoption. She is a very social kitten and cries for us when we leave the room, now that her roommates are gone. Here is a video of the three girls when we first brought them home.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think its hilarious how Curt just said, "this is Ophelia and she's nuts", and then she starts flipping around the room. haha.